Return to
Affiliate Sites Search
Contact Français

EDF Energies Nouvelles commissions a new wind farm in South Africa

  • Wind

EDF Energies Nouvelles is announcing the commissioning of the Chaba wind farm in South Africa by InnoWind, its local subsidiary.
To date, the group has installed two wind farms with a combined total capacity of 83 MW in the country.

Awarded through the South African government Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Procurement Programme (REIPPPP), the Chaba wind farm is located in Eastern Cape province. It is made of seven V112 Vestas turbines, each with a 3.075 MW capacity.
In line with the tender specifications, a portion of the revenues generated from electricity sales will be used to encourage local entrepreneurship and support the local economy.
The Chaba wind farm is 40%-owned by local partners, with the remaining 60%-owned by InnoWind (an 80%-owned subsidiary of EDF Energies Nouvelles).
The energy that will be generated by the wind farm is offtaken by the grid operator through a 20-year power purchase agreement and will provide over 14,000 South African homes with electricity.

To date, EDF Energies Nouvelles has commissioned two wind farms out of the four the company was awarded through the South African REIPPPP. Three wind farms with a total capacity of 105 MW were awarded in 2012 and the company was designated preferred bidder for another 33 MW wind farm in the first half of 2015.

About EDF Energies NouvellesEDF Energies Nouvelles is a market leader in renewable energy electricity, with a portfolio of more than 9 GW gross installed capacity focused for the most part on wind (onshore and offshore) and solar photovoltaic energy. Mostly operating in Europe and North America, EDF Energies Nouvelles continues its development by taking strong positions in promising emerging areas such as Brazil, Chile, China, India or South Africa. The Company is also present in other segments of the renewable energy market: marine energy, biomass and distributed energies. EDF Energies Nouvelles manages renewable energy projects’ development and construction as well as operation and maintenance for its own account and for third parties. EDF Energies Nouvelles is a subsidiary of the EDF Group dedicated to renewable energy.

MEDIA RELATIONSManon de Cassini-Hérail ▪ Tel : +33 {0} ▪ e-mail :
Clarisse Placidoux ▪ Tel : +33 {0} ▪ e-mail :