Acting through its subsidiary EDF Energies Nouvelles, the EDF Group is continuing to grow its renewable energy business in India with the commissioning of three solar facilities. These facilities have expanded the Group’s renewable energy portfolio in India, which saw the addition of five wind farms in April.
Forging ahead with a growing solar energy portfolio
With a total capacity of 87 MWp, the three new solar plants cover the annual energy requirements of 120 000 Indian households. They have added to the Group’s existing solar capacity in India, which now amounts to 207 MWp.
Two of the three plants are located in the State of Uttarakhand in Northern India. Each has an installed capacity of 36 MWp with a 49% equity share held by EDEN, a subsidiary that was set up in 2016 and that is equally owned by EDF Energies Nouvelles and EREN Renewable Energy. The remaining 51% are respectively owned by local partners Omkar Powertech India Private Limited, Profigate Infra Gasoline and Rays Power Infra.
Located in the State of Madhya Pradesh, the third plant has a capacity of 15 MWp and is owned by EDEN.
The three solar facilities have a 25-year power purchase agreement (PPA) with local transmission system operators: Uttarakhand Power Corporation Ltd (UPCL) with the first two plants and Madhya Pradesh Power Management Company Limited (MPPMCL) with the third.
The EDF Group’s first wind farms in India
The five wind farms consist of 82 turbines with a total installed capacity of 164 MW. Located in the State of Gujarat, one of India’s windiest regions, they generate enough power to meet the annual demand of 460 000 Indian households.
The wind farms were built by SITAC Wind Management and Development, a company specialising in wind power. It is equally owned by EDF Energies Nouvelles and the SITAC Group. Each wind farm has a 25-year power purchase agreement (PPA) with Gujarat Urja Vikas Nigam Ltd. (GUVNL), the region’s distribution utility.
EDF supports the energy transition in India
With these recently commissioned facilities, the EDF Group now operates nearly 371 MW of installed solar and wind capacity in India. The country has significant growth potential when it comes to both of these energy sources and aims to have 100 GWp and 60 GW of installed capacity by year 2022 respectively.
As far as nuclear power is concerned, EDF and India’s Nuclear Power Corp of India Ltd (NPCIL) signed a cooperation agreement in January 2016, relating to the planned construction of 6 EPR reactors at Jaitapur in Western India. The Group is also involved in the development of smart grids. In September 2016, EDF was chosen to partner the state-run company WAPCOS in designing an infrastructure of 75 000 smart meters for the New Delhi municipality. Acting through its subsidiary Citelum, the Group also maintains and operates public lighting systems in the Indore and Ahmenabad municipalities.
Jean-Bernard Lévy, the EDF Group’s Chairman and Chief Executive, stated: “We are proud of being able to play an active role in India’s energy transition by offering a comprehensive range of energy solutions. The recently commissioned wind and solar plants are aligned with the two key objectives of the Group’s CAP 2030 strategy: achieving 50 GW of renewable energy capacity by year 2030 and growing our business in a rapidly expanding market like India”.
Manon de Cassini-Hérail ▪ tel. : +33 (0)1 40 90 48 22 ▪ e-mail: email@example.com
Clarisse Placidoux ▪ tel. : +33 (0)18.104.22.168.46 ▪ e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
About EDF Energies Nouvelles
EDF Energies Nouvelles is a market leader in renewable energy electricity, with a portfolio of more than 10 GW gross installed capacity focused for the most part on wind (onshore and offshore) and solar photovoltaic energy. Mostly operating in Europe and North America, EDF Energies Nouvelles continues its development by taking strong positions in promising emerging areas such as Brazil, Chile, China, India or South Africa. The Company is also present in other segments of the renewable energy market: marine energy, distributed energies and energy storage. EDF Energies Nouvelles manages renewable energy projects’ development and construction as well as operation and maintenance for its own account and for third parties. EDF Energies Nouvelles is a subsidiary of the EDF Group dedicated to renewable energy.
Visit us at www.edf-energies-nouvelles.com and follow us on https://www.linkedin.com/company/edf-energies-nouvelles and on Twitter @EDFEN_officiel